Support for Your Highlander Journey
The UCR Alumni Association is here to help you achieve a world-class UCR education and sky-high success in your career. We are proud to offer a diverse range of scholarships and initiatives that lighten the load of education expenses for the next generation of Highlanders.
Thanks to the support of generous donors and a strong network of alumni who are dedicated to giving back, the UCRAA scholarship program has awarded more than $2.5 million to over 1,100 students.
For additional UCR scholarship and financial aid information, visit UCR Financial Aid.
Apply for a Scholarship
In partnership with generous alumni and donors, the Alumni Association recognizes and rewards students for academic achievements and leadership promise through a diverse range of merit-based scholarships.
The Alumni Association awards scholarships to incoming freshmen, transfer students, and current students each year. Click on the scholarships below for criteria information and application details. Award disbursements will only be made to students who are enrolled at UCR during the period indicated on the application.
Prospective and Current Students
Chicano Latino Alumni Scholarship
The mission of Chicano Latino Alumni (CLA) is to build a community that advocates and creates opportunities for the academic excellence, professional growth, and advancement of Chicano Latino students, alumni, staff, faculty, and our community at large.
CLA’s scholarship program recognizes academic achievement and community service of exceptional students at UCR.
$1,000 Scholarship Award
Number of awards depends upon available funds.
The UCR Chicano Latino Alumni Scholarship is closed for the 2020-21 academic year. Please return to this page in summer 2021 if you wish to apply for the 2021-22 academic year.
Dr. Manuela and Mr. Randy Sosa Endowed Scholarship Fund
Since its founding in 1998, the Inland Empire Scholarship Fund (IESF) has awarded scholarships to hundreds of low-income, high achieving Latino students from Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. This extraordinary accomplishment is the result of a focused vision and tireless year-round volunteer effort put forth by Dr. Manuela Granado Sosa, a retired dentist, and Espartago (Randy) Sosa, a retired engineer.
Criteria for Selection
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Entering, transferring, continuing undergraduates
- Pursuing a Bachelor's degree at UCR in fall and attending all three quarters in 2020-2021
- Resident of Riverside County or San Bernardino County but excluding residents east of Banning
- Interest to work in the Inland Empire using skills and resources to give back and help the community
Additional Consideration will be given to candidates that meet the following:
- Fluent in Spanish
Number of Scholarships: Varies
Award Amount: $1,000
HOW DO I APPLY?
The application period is now closed.
Candidates must be enrolled as a UCR student during the period specified on the application.
UCR Alumni Association (UCRAA) Freshman Scholarship
The Freshman Scholarship is the largest gift the association awards. Nine incoming freshmen are selected each year based on high school GPA, enrollment for fall quarter, and residency within California. After many applications and rounds of interviews, the most qualified students are selected and receive a scholarship in the amount of $4,000.
Criteria for Selection
- Incoming freshman, attended high school in California
- Must be enrolled full-time at UCR for the upcoming fall quarter
- Minimum GPA of 3.8
- California resident
The application period is now closed.
Henry Ramsey, Jr. Revolving Emergency Loan Fund (RELF)
Designed to assist students with short-term financial emergencies. Each loan application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and available anytime during the year, as long as the student is enrolled. For more information, please contact (951) 827-2586.
- Loan amounts are available up to $1,000. Approval of all loans is subject to the availability of funds. (a typical loan averages $500).
- The Office of Alumni Engagement may reduce the loan amount or decline to approve the loan if information indicates your unwillingness or inability to repay the loan.
- Only one outstanding RELF is allowed per quarter.
- Undergraduate students with a minimum enrollment of twelve (12) units for fall, winter and spring terms, and eight (8) units for one summer session.
- Current UCR GPA of 2.0 or above and be in good academic standing.
- Eligible to receive need-based financial aid.
- No HOLD currently on records.
- Documentation of emergency (copies of medical bills, car repair bills, lease agreement, etc.).
- Documentation of repayment source (payroll stub, letter from employer, letter from parents, etc.).
- If you have been delinquent on a loan payment in the past, you may be ineligible for the RELF.
Students currently receiving financial aid: RELF loans may be deducted from your next disbursement. Payments on student accounts are credited against any outstanding charges currently on record.
Loan applications are available in the Alumni Engagement office, 2203 Alumni & Visitors Center, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. You may also complete the form by clicking on the Apply Now button above, print and sign it, and then deliver it to the Alumni Engagement office.
If the application and documentation of emergency is submitted and approved by 10:00 a.m., funds should be available via direct deposit to your bank account within three - four (3 - 4) business days. Accommodations may be made for individuals with no personal bank account.
Incomplete applications or insufficient documentation will delay your loan processing.
Loans are required to be repaid in full within thirty (30) days.
Payments can be made online via R’Web or at the University Main Cashiers Office.
If you graduate or withdraw from school prior to the due date, the loan becomes due and payable on that date, unless prior arrangements are made with Student Business Services, Highlander One Stop Shop (HOSS).
An unpaid Emergency Loan is a debt owed to the University. If your loan is not paid by the due date, you will have a registration, academic transcript, and diploma HOLD placed on your records until the debt is repaid in full.
A late fee of $12.50 will be assessed on all loans not paid on or before the due date. Delinquent loans may be assigned to a collection agency.