Career & Networking
A successful job search or career advancement plan requires a clearly defined target by industry and function. Career self-assessments (such as the Myers Briggs, CareerLeader, Strong Interest Inventory or Gallup’s Strengthfinder) offered at a 20% discounted rate by the Career Center, will get you started. The Career Center also offers numerous other services worth exploring.
Online and resume branding are the next key steps in your career search or advancement plan. Your competence is assessed by the professional brand you portray, in writing (your resume and LinkedIn profile) and in your work place contributions. Take charge by reviewing our Resume and Cover Letter Guides to implement best practices. Also watch our webinars on a range of career branding and career development topics to get the edge.
– 80% of all professionals will have googled your name before meeting (Jobvite 2014)
Networking is the single most important aspect of a job search or career advancement plan. Utilize our Networking Guide to build a strategic networking plan for your job search or career advancement goals. Also connect with more than 100 000 Highlanders through our Alumni LinkedIn Group as well as through our regional chapters and clubs.
– Internal referrals are 5X more likely to be hired compared to other recruiting sources (Jobvite 2017)
Career growth means landing that job through a successful interview and the key is preparation and practice. Use our Interview Guide and career webinar series to learn how to best prepare to grow your career. Alumni Association members also receive up to 30% off job search services through FlexJobs. Sign in to your alumni benefits portal to access your savings. Finally, grow your professional expertise through our Alumni Book Club.
Use these options to connect with UCR alumni and promote open positions within your company:
- Email email@example.com with a brief job description, with instructions on how alumni can apply for jobs at your company. The description will be posted on the UCR Alumni Association LinkedIn Group which reaches over 7,000 UCR alumni.
- Have a direct email blast sent to the alumni population of your choice. Click here to fill out the form, submit payment ($100, UCR Alumni Association members $75), and the email blast will be sent within 5-10 business days.
- Log on to the Career Center website and post a job for current students or recent graduates.